Saathi is the LGBTQ Resource Group of Indian Institute of Technology Bombay. We advocate for the rights of gender and sexual minorities for a more inclusive campus. We are an independent body of students, faculty, staff and alumni of IIT Bombay. We are affiliated to IIT Bombay and cater exclusively to the needs of the campus community.
Why we are and what we do
- Saathi is committed to serving the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning students by creating a “positive space” for LGBTQ people to discover and come to terms with themselves in a safe, comforting and confidential environment.
- In keeping with the institute's belief in the dignity and worth of all members of our campus community, Saathi exists to support and affirm students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression and envisions a campus where LGBTQ members feel welcome and included in every aspect of the IIT Bombay community.
- Saathi shall strive to educate and enhance understanding, acceptance and awareness regarding LGBTQ issues and concerns among the campus community.
- Saathi shall work to promote equality and to eliminate heteronomativism, homophobia, gender identity oppression and end discrimination in all its forms. Saathi shall also strive to provide a safe and accessible space to those individuals who have faced discrimination, harassment, or intimidation because of their sexual orientations and/or gender identities/expressions.
- Saathi shall advocate for institutional policy changes and program development that recognize the needs and rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.
- In accordance with the institute's mission to prepare students to become contributing, compassionate citizens of the society, Saathi encourages all members of the campus community to participate in our efforts to promote social justice and eliminate discrimination in all its forms.
Who can be a part of Saathi
Anyone satisfying the following criteria is eligible to become a member of Saathi :
- The person should be holding a valid IIT Bombay identity card or a valid IIT Bombay Alumni identity card issued by the Alumni Association.
- The person should be at least 18 years old as per the Date of Birth on their IIT Bombay identity card.
- Saathi does not discriminate anyone on the basis of religion, caste, creed, race, ethnicity, colour, nationality, class, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression or sexual orientation.
- Saathi shall respect the privacy and anonymity of its members.